KVK, is an integral part of the National Agricultural Research System (NARS), aims at assessment of location specific technology modules in agriculture and allied enterprises, through technology assessment, refinement & demonstrations. KVKs have been functioning as Knowledge and Resource Centre of agricultural technology supporting initiatives of public, private and voluntary sector for improving the agricultural economy of the district and are linking the NARS with extension system and farmers.KVK Pulwama was established at Malangpora in the district of Pulwama in the year 1983.It is about 10 km away from district head quarter and 50 Km from SKUAST headquarters located at Shalimar in the district Srinagar.
The mandate of KVK is Technology Assessment and Demonstration for its Application and Capacity Development
To implement the mandate effectively, the following activities are envisaged for each KVK
1. On-farm testing to assess the location specificity of agricultural technologies under various farming systems.
2. Frontline demonstrations to establish production potential of technologies on the farmers’ fields.
3. Capacity development of farmers and extension personnel to update their knowledge and skills on modern agricultural technologies.
4. To work as Knowledge and Resource Centre of agricultural technologies for supporting initiatives of public, private and voluntary sector in improving the agricultural economy of the district.
5. Provide farm advisories using ICT and other media means on varied subjects of interest to farmers.
In addition, KVKs produce quality technological products (seed, planting material, bio-agents, livestock) and make it available to farmers, organize frontline extension activities, identify and document selected farm innovations and converge with ongoing schemes and programs within the mandate of KVK.
Thrust Areas Identified for KVK Pulwama
Name of District
Year of establishment
South Central Part of Kashmir Kashmir
No. of Tehsils
05 (Pulwma,Awantipora,Rajpora,Pampore and Tral)
No. of Villages
No. of Community Dev. Blocks
1091 Sq. Kms/61000 ha's
Climate of District
Sub humid temperate
a. Lower Plain Soils Karewas
b. Group of Locustine origin
c. High altitude soils
Developed & Maintained at KVK Malangpora, SKUAST-K